1. Do pick a natural paint color if you have detailed/patterned or busy room and wall decor
2. Do pick your color palette and furnishings before picking a paint color
3. Do get paint samples and try them on your walls; look at the walls at all points of the day so you can see the different shades it'll look as the sun hits the room
4. Do take the time to tape the edges of your walls - trust me it'll be worth it in the end!
5. Do keep your extra paint - trust me you will want it if you need to touch something up! Chances are you'll never be able to match the color exact again if you need to
6. Do consider an accent/patterned wall if you have the space!
1. Don't choose a paint color based on someone else's room - instead, try looking at multiple shades of the color you like
2. Don't go white; at least make it interesting and do a light gray if you want a light and super neutral color!
3. Don't paint your ceiling any color other than white in a bathroom - not good for lighting!
4. Don't paint a room in odd strokes - painting the whole room using one stroke (usually vertically) will allow the color to dry better and give you a nicer end product!