1. Hydrate. Literally the most important thing you can do for your body in the morning! When I drink a decent amount of water when I first wake up, I find I have more energy throughout the day and usually prevents headaches. Water is basically all I drink, but I make sure it's one of the first things I do when I wake up each day.
2. Solidify your plan for the day. Ideally you'll know what the day holds before your morning begins, but it's always good to go over your list in the morning so you can begin to think about everything you have to tackle and more effectively cross them off the list. I like to make a list in my phone and as I'm in the process of waking up the next morning, I'll go over the list and decide what to do first.
3. Listen to your favorite playlist. I have a playlist on my phone that's meant for mornings - and let me tell you, it helps! I listen to a radio show every morning, but when I first wake up I play my morning play list and it helps me wake up and get energized and motivated for the day. You may or may not know that OneRepublic is my favorite band ever, so their new album is my current morning waker-upper. It's amazing what kind of effect music can have on you!
4. Take 20 minutes to clean up. When I finally crawl into bed at night, there's a pretty unlikely chance that I put anything that was on my bed away... In fact it's probably in a pile. On a chair. Just saying... ; ) When you wake up, make your bed and clean things up. It makes you feel SO much better, and you're getting something done early in the AM.
5. Take vitamins. This is a HUGE one for me! I always see such a difference in my day when I take my vitamins versus on a day that I don't; even if I got a decent night of sleep. My favorite vitamins to take are by Nature Made; even if you hate taking pills these are perfect for you because they're gummies! My two favorites from Nature Made are the multis and the hair-skin-nails vitamins. Taking these every day helps me feel so much better all-around and all day long. I can almost always tackle an entire to-do list because I don't start to get that afternoon drag by 3 PM.
I always take my Nature Made vitamins first thing in the morning and I absolutely see a difference in how I feel. They're meant to help nutritional gaps which is exactly what I need. The hair-skin-nails gummies provide antioxidant support and are meant to strengthen your hair, skin and nails.† I love that these are gummies too - they're so easy to take - especially in the morning! Best part is I get both of these Nature made vitamins at Walmart. They're easily available and they also offer everyday low prices on the Nature Made products. Taking vitamins as a start to your day is one of the best things you can do and with a brand like Nature Made, you know you can trust that you'll have an awesome day!
6. Eat a healthy, well-balanced breakfast. I know, I know - breakfast can often be the last thing on your mind. Especially if it's already a busy morning. I've never been a big breakfast eater, but once I began eating a healthy breakfast I realized what a difference it was making on my day. It helps SO much with prolonged energy and it's the best thing you can do for your morning next to taking vitamins daily. I usually make a fruit smoothie with peanut butter (for protein) if I need something easy/quick. My other favorite breakfast is yogurt with granola and a side of fruit, or scrambled eggs with toast. I ALWAYS have a glass of orange juice - even if it's just a little bit - for extra Vitamin C.
7. Take a shower, get dressed. An obvious one, yes, but starting your day off by getting ready is a huge factor in how you start your day. The more you feel put together, the more put together you'll be. It's sort of a mind game but it works! I of COURSE have lazy mornings where I don't get right up and get ready for the day and it can be relaxing, but I always seem to get more done when I'm moving and ready earlier in the day.
8. Think of something you're excited for. Have a fun weekend plan? A trip coming up? Total Christmas junkie (like me)?! Find something that makes you SO excited and think about it - think about it while you're cleaning, showering - anything. I find that being excited about something makes me so motivated to run through my to-do list and get things done. It also helps put you in a better mood; focusing on the positives is the best thing you can do for yourself in the morning!
9. Exercise! Everyone has their personal favorite time to work out, but even if that isn't the morning for you - you can still do a couple of things to get yourself moving and your blood flowing. Do 10 squats and 10 jumping jacks for the length of a song on your playlist. If you're an outdoors person and it's a nice day out, go for a morning walk. There's such easy ways to get moving even if you aren't big on exercise in the morning. Breathing in fresh air in the morning is an awesome feeling too, so take a few deep breaths and I promise you'll feel calm and collected all day.
10. Cross at least two things off of your to-do list. I like to start my list by tackling one of the bigger things first - there's nothing better than crossing something big off! The more you do earlier, the less you'll have to do later. Which means more time for your guilty pleasure prime time TV shows. ; )